The Latin settlement of Satricum, situated on the banks of the river Astura, ca. 60 km south of Rome, developed from a modest hamlet of huts in the 9th c. BC, perched on top of an ‘acropolis’ hill, into a prosperous urban centre in by the 6th c. BC covering an area of nearly 40 ha. The site was discovered in the late 19th c., after which Italian archaeologists excavated large parts of the settlement (1896-1898 and 1907-1910). Research in Satricum was taken up again in 1977 by Dutch archaeologists who are still active on the site.
Satricum’s favourable location at the crossroads between the northern Etruscan and southern Greek areas is reflected in the remarkable diversity of the archaeological material. At the same time, it is one of the best preserved sites in central Italy revealing archaeological remains which cover a period of continuous occupation from nearly ten centuries (9th c. BC- 1st c. AD). The site is probably best known for its sanctuary dedicated to Mater Matuta, goddess of dawn. Situated on top of the acropolis, it incorporates three successive temple buildings from the Archaic period onwards. The importance of the sanctuary is reflected in three substantial votive deposits